The edge reported that Facebook may soon change its name to focus on “building the metaverse.” The website said the name of the app and social media service could remain unchanged, but the parent company could be renamed. And, of course, the news sparked a plethora of reactions online.
The rebranding comes at a time when the social media company is coming under fire for its business practices. While a spokesperson for the company responded to the news by offering no “comment on rumor or speculation,” users online are voicing their opinions on the proposed rebranding.
While many companies in the past have changed their names or names to expand their services, many saw Facebook’s move as a way to distract from the existing issues it faces.
However, netizens also took the opportunity to share some hilarious memes and jokes. Some have suggested prefixing Facebook with “The”, to revert to its original name “TheFacebook” – the company was launched as “TheFacebook” on February 4, 2004, but “The” was subsequently discontinued.
We have received your name change request. However, due to our real names policy, you will need to fax us a copy of your court order and new driver’s license first….
– Ina Fried (@inafried) 20 October 2021
– Dean (@deanmiddleearth) 20 October 2021
Facebook with a new name pic.twitter.com/7M9DNiZvlf
– Inglourious Capital (@inglouriouscap) 20 October 2021
They were right
– Username redacted 🌴 (@Username_Redact) 20 October 2021
A lot of people will fall for this, unfortunately.
– 🎃YourLocalEvilPenguin🎃 (@evil_local) 20 October 2021
Facebook changes its name back to Facebook: pic.twitter.com/4atuz4S0Mv
– Danny Armstrong (@ DArmstrong44) 20 October 2021
Facebook memes have started. pic.twitter.com/Y4KpiPDRAx
– GRS Jackson (@GRSJacksonReal) 20 October 2021
add the on. The Facebook. it’s cleaner. pic.twitter.com/0rqw4i5cWd
– kyle (@ipsumkyle) 20 October 2021
I see the Facebook trend on Twitter. pic.twitter.com/A1ncq1fGJS
– In my mind (@MeAloneInMyMind) 20 October 2021