A time capsule of the former Holy Name High School | News, Sports, Jobs

TIME CAPSULE DISCOVERIES – Items found in a 1924 time capsule, the box shown at right, are on display after they were discovered following the demolition of the former Holy Name High School at 416 S. Fifth St., Steubenville. The property recently served as Cathedral Apartments and was leased by the Jefferson County Community Action Council from 1924 to 2021. — Matthew A. DiCenzo/Steubenville Registry

STEUBENVILLE — An article and photos by writer Matthew A. DiCenzo that appeared in the Jan. 21 issue of the Steubenville Register detail how the demolition of the former Holy Name High School led to the discovery and removal of a time capsule from the cornerstone of the building.

Owned by the Diocese of Steubenville, the downtown building at 416 S. Fifth St., has served in various capacities over the years, including as the Cathedral Apartments.

Originally, however, it was built for Holy Name High School, according to DiCenzo’s story.

“According to school history, Holy Name High School was founded in 1889 in connection with Holy Name Grade School by Father James J. Hartley, who later became Bishop of Columbus.” DiCenzo wrote. “As the school grew, a separate building for the high school became necessary. The property was obtained to build the secondary school opposite the primary school, kitty corner of the Holy Name Church (Cathedral). Father Joseph A. Wiegand, later named Monsignor, was pastor at the time.

The ground was laid on March 25, 1924 for Holy Name High School with the cornerstone laid on July 13, 1924.

“The school was opened in the fall of 1925. Father Edward A. Gilbert, later appointed Monsignor, became administrator of Holy Name Parish before the school opened. He became a pastor and was appointed superintendent of the school. The building was originally constructed as a one-story, four-room structure. According to the school’s history, Father Gilbert oversaw an expansion of the school, which added several classrooms. The building has become a two-story structure,” he wrote.

In 1930 Holy Name High School became a centralized school for the parishes of Steubenville, Mingo Junction and Toronto. The name was changed to Catholic Central High School.

In 1947 plans were drawn up for a new school in the West End of the city. Construction of a new school began in 1949. On September 10, 1950, the new Central Catholic Secondary School, which continues to serve as a school today, was dedicated. The story from the dedication book reads: “In 1931, the total enrollment at Catholic Central was 134; in 1950, the class had 171 students. Enrollment for the 1950-51 school year is nearly 800. As these figures indicate, the need for a new school has been felt for nearly 10 years.

After the high school moved out of downtown Steubenville, the building became Holy Name Elementary School. In 1972, Bishop John King Mussio, the first Bishop of Steubenville, closed the elementary school due to low enrollment. Students were required to attend All Saints, Steubenville.

Several years after the elementary school closed, the Jefferson County Christian School occupied the property until it moved to another location.

In 1994, the Community Action Council of Jefferson County leased the building to the diocese. The old school became the cathedral apartments and people lived there until October when the building was deemed unsafe for locals.

Demolition began in December and was completed in January. During the razing of the building, the time capsule was found in the cornerstone. The items it contained included:

– A yearbook from Holy Name High School, “The Annual Companion 1924;”

– Holy Name High School’s student newspaper, The Companion: Vol. 11, No. VI, June 12, 1924;

– A Holy Name Church Souvenir 1885-1910 booklet;

– A booklet written by Father Weigand, entitled, “A simple religion lesson for toddlers preparing for their first communion; »

– Prayer cards included by Sister Adelaide of Holy Name Convent, dated June 25, 1924;

– A list of the parish committee;

– A parish bulletin of July 13, 1924, the very day of the laying of the first stone;

– A vase in which some of the paper items were kept in the time capsule; and

– A wooden box that included a souvenir medal from the Church of the Holy Name as well as medals with images of Mary, saints, Pope Pius XI and a Jerusalem Pilgrim’s Cross medal.

Today’s breaking news and more to your inbox

About Frank Torres

Check Also

Gaming and education have a new name: RoboApe (RBA) is taking the crypto world by storm

Many industries, including accounting, supply chain, finance and contract law, can be transformed by block …