COVID-19 Suspends High School Soccer Shrine Bowl 2021


For the second year in a row, the Shrine Bowl will not be played.

Shrine Bowl officials announced Thursday that the annual All-Star Game between North Carolina and South Carolina soccer players will be suspended in 2021, a year after the same event was postponed due to “COVID-19 challenges. “.

“Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Shrine Bowl sports department and medical staff have continued to exercise due diligence in trying to prepare for the next annual Shrine Bowl game,” said the president of the game Ronnie Blount in a statement late Thursday night. “Staff have tried to glean all the information they can from the North and South Carolina governing bodies. Everything from player selection, accommodation, transportation and catering services for our players, coaches, athletic staff and medical staff. “

Blount continued, “With the pandemic continuing to evolve, the current circumstances and the monumental effort required to safely prepare for Shrine Bowl week in Spartanburg and play the game are what the board believes we do not. can’t do it in everyone’s best interest. right now. In short, if we are not able to produce a high quality game like we have been doing for 83 years and provide the best possible playing environment for our sponsors, players, coaches, staff, medical staff and patrons, then we do not. shouldn’t be playing the game this year. “

The statement said the Shrine Bowl coaches will still select 44 players from each state in October for recognition and achievement, and play is expected to resume in Spartanburg on December 17, 2022. The decision was made after a Shrine Bowl. Board of Governors met Thursday evening.

The SC North-South All-Star football game in Myrtle Beach is still scheduled to be played.

Check back for updates on this developing story.

This story was originally published September 16, 2021 10:37 pm.

Alex Zietlow writes about sports and how they intersect with life in York, Chester and Lancaster counties for The Herald, where he has served as editor and reporter since August 2019. Zietlow has won six SC Press awards Association during his young career. including top spots in feature film writing and sports business writing. He graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill in May 2019 and was a summer sports intern for The News & Observer in Raleigh, NC, before coming to Rock Hill.

Profile image of Lou Bezjak

Lou Bezjak is the High School Athletic Readiness Coordinator for the State (Columbia) and Island (Hilton Head) Packet. He previously worked for the Florence Morning News and covered high school sports in South Carolina since 2002. Lou is two-time South Carolina Sports Writer of the Year by the National Sports Media Association.
Support my work with a digital subscription

About Frank Torres

Check Also

Chelsea set to appoint Red Bull Salzburg’s Christoph Freund as sporting director – Paper Talk | Transfer Center News

All the headline stories and transfer rumors from Monday’s national papers… THE GUARDIAN Chelsea agree …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.