When you set up your iPhone, Apple names your device “iPhone”, perhaps to keep the naming scheme simple. While this generalization is acceptable from a naming perspective, it tends to create a lot of confusion, especially if there are multiple iPhones in your household. When sharing files via AirDrop or using Personal Hotspot, you may often wonder what your device is. Luckily, there is a quick way to change iPhone name. If that’s what you’re looking for, let me show you how to easily change the name of your iPhone and iPad.
Quick Ways to Change the Name of Your iPhone and iPad (2022)
There are several ways to change the name of your iOS device. While the easiest method is right in the Settings app, you can also easily customize your iPhone’s name from your computer. Aside from that, we’ve also talked about ways to customize the name of your Bluetooth accessories, which can come in handy if you want all your devices to stay in sync.
It is important to note that changing the device name does not affect how you use your device or change any existing settings. So you should not worry about the after effects.
Where do you see your device name?
First, let’s find out where your device’s name appears!
AirDrop shows your device name when someone tries to share files through Apple’s File Sharing Protocol.
- Find My iPhone iPhone/iPad
Find My, which is used to track a lost or stolen device, displays the name of your device. You choose your name to track the connected device.
This is probably the main reason why you might want to give your iPhone a different name. When you or someone else tries to connect to your device’s personal hotspot, your device’s name is displayed.
iTunes displays your iPhone’s name when you sync the device with the media library.
When you view your Apple ID account online, you should see a list of Apple devices synced to the account. Each of the connected devices has a distinct name.
Change Discoverable Name on iPhone and iPad
Changing your iPhone’s name from the Settings app is as easy as it gets.
1. To get started, run the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad. Next, scroll down and tap General.
2. Now select On then press name.
3. Then press the “X” button right next to your device name. After that, enter the name from your iPhone or iPad then hit Ended to confirm the change.
- If you want to customize the device name as you like, tap the emoji icon on the keyboard, then choose from a plethora of emojis to customize the name.
Change iPhone and iPad Name Using iTunes
I don’t think many of you are aware that iTunes can also let you change the name of your iPhone/iPad. The process is very simple.
1. First of all, connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer and throw itunes.
2. Now click on the iPhone/iPad icon located in the upper left corner of the window.
3. After that, click on the name of your device in the sidebar -> type the name -> press Return and you are good to go!
Change the name of a Bluetooth accessory on iPhone and iPad
Before you begin, make sure your Bluetooth accessory is turned on and connected to your iPhone or iPad.
1. Head to the Settings app on your device ->Bluetooth.
2. Now press the “i” button next to your accessory.
3. Then press name -> press the “X” button -> enter a new name and knock Ended to confirm.
Easily change the name of your iOS and iPadOS device
That’s all there is to changing the name of your iOS or iPadOS device. As the process is quite simple, I guess you might have walked through it easily. If you found this guide handy, chances are you’ll enjoy reading our massive list of super cool iPhone shortcuts and hidden iPhone tips and tricks. Apart from improving your overall experience, these hacks can also fix a lot of annoyances, so be sure to catch up with them.