The Prime Minister today released details of the terrorist who carried out the attack on a West Auckland supermarket yesterday.
She also announced that the anti-terrorism changes currently underway in parliament would be accelerated, with the intention of adopting them by the end of the month.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and Police Commissioner Andrew Coster. Source: Getty
Jacinda Ardern was only able to disclose a few details about the terrorist surrounding his criminal history, and was unable to disclose all of the information held on him.
âOvernight and this morning, work was undertaken by Crown Law to have the courts allow us to release this information. ,” she said.
“The remaining information, I hope we can share it within the next 24 hours.”
Ardern was also unable to share his name.
However, she has no intention of doing so, regardless of the suppression laws.
“No terrorist, living or dead, deserves to have his name shared for the infamy he sought,” Ardern said.
Jacinda Ardern said all possible legal avenues had been followed and he had been kept in prison “as long as we could”.
Seven shoppers were injured Friday after a knife was retrieved from a supermarket in New Lynn. Five are hospitalized, three of them are in critical condition and the rest are recovering at home.
Police Commissioner Andrew Coster said there was nothing unusual about the suspects’ routine on Friday.
Your playlist will load after this announcement
A total of seven people were injured in the countdown attack in LynnMall, west Auckland. Source: 1 NEWS
He traveled to the supermarket by train and was observed entering the supermarket at 2:27 p.m.
The terrorist would shop normally for 10 minutes.
An examination on CCTV revealed that the first stabbing occurred 60 to 90 seconds before the surveillance team heard screams and saw people running.
When asked if it was appropriate for the police to use lethal force, Coster replied “absolutely, without a doubt”.
Coster said police would be in supermarkets and assembly places to give reassurance to the public.
The footage shows him removing a kitchen knife from the store, and one of them was found near him after being shot, Coster said.
“This case is an outlier and we are not looking for anyone else in relation to the events of yesterday.”
He was shot dead by police within one minute of the attack starting.
He was influenced by ISIS and believed in a violent ideology. He had been monitored by police and security services since 2016.
October 2011: The man arrived in New Zealand on a student visa at the age of 22.
April 2016: Police speak to her for the first time after being reported to law enforcement. He was contacted by police again in May.
May 2017: Despite the warnings, he continued this activity and was arrested at Auckland International Airport by police, who believed him on his way to Syria. A search of his apartment uncovered restricted publications and a hunting knife. Charged with possession, pleaded guilty to knowingly distributing restricted publications, fraud and failing to assist police in the exercise of their search powers. He was released on bail.
August 2018: While on bail, he bought a knife and was arrested for doing so. Police issued a search warrant and found objectionable and extremist material. He was further charged with possession of this equipment, weapon and failing to assist the police in the exercise of their search powers. He was kept in detention.
September 2018: The individual was sentenced to 12 months of surveillance in connection with the first set of charges and remained in jail for the charges made while he was out on bail. At the same time, ministers were briefed on anti-terrorism legislation. This included a policy on preparatory acts that could be linked to terrorist activities.
July 2020: The Crown unsuccessfully attempted to lay an additional charge under existing anti-terrorism law for its online posts and possession of the hunting knife, but this was dismissed by the High Court. However, the charges for possession of these items were still valid and he was remanded in custody for conviction. During this time, he assaulted correctional officers and also faced charges for these acts.
April 2021: The bill for new anti-terrorism legislation was released and had its first reading in May.
May 2021: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is made aware of the potential threat the man possessed. He was convicted by the High Court for possession of questionable publications and failure to assist the police in the exercise of their search powers. He was also convicted of another charge of possession of objectionable material and having a knife in a public place. The Crown asked for GPS monitoring, but it was not imposed by the courts.
After exhausting all legal avenues and failing to convict the man on charges that would warrant jail time, the police began to prepare for his eventual release. This included round-the-clock surveillance by officers and the armed special tactical group.
July 2021: He is released and reintegrated into the community and closely watched. At the end of July, Ardern received a written update on the situation.
August 2021: At the end of August, police seek to add fast-track changes to anti-terrorism legislation.
September 2021: The Minister of Justice seeks to speed up the change of law on Friday, September 3, the same day as the terrorist attack. At around 2:30 p.m., the man attacked people at the LynnMall Countdown with a knife he took from the shelves. After hearing the commotion, armed officers from the Stalking Special Tactics Group rushed into the supermarket and shot him dead within two minutes of the first attack.