It is difficult to get the name and description of a product or business. I’ve written about this before, but the recent frustration of trying to categorize products made me think it was a topic worth revisiting.
What’s in a name?
I have simple rules for naming a product or company: Find a name that is easy to spell, easy to pronounce, and that doesn’t mean something derogatory in another language. If you can get the URL and social media IDs for the name, you’re done.
Simple, right? Apparently not. I see so many companies trying to be too smart – take names or simple words and then rebuild them in a way that no one will ever remember or be able to spell. Random name generators and online branding sites that sell names and logos can help but also make the problem worse. If a prospect can’t spell your business name when they type in a search bar, or recognize it when they see it because of an odd pronunciation, you are creating barriers to discovery.
Here are some names of companies currently for sale. How many of them do you think you spell correctly if you just heard the name? If you want to have fun, make a call with a friend, read them the list, and see how much they can spell (assuming you know how to pronounce them). I checked them out from SquadHelp and in all fairness they also have some fabulous names to sell if you want to go that route.
Related article: B2B Customer Experience Fundamentals: Describing Your Product
And now for the description of the product and the company …
Writing a product or business description is not that difficult. Your prospect wants to know what you do, where you stand overall, what they can do with your product, and the benefits they will get from using your product.
My approach to product and company descriptions is a short âMadLibsâ exercise that I have already shared in this column:
Start by filling in the blanks in this paragraph:
The [COMPANY] [PRODUCT NAME] is a [PRODUCT CATEGORY] this [ADD VERB e.g. enables] [CUSTOMER DESCRIPTION] To [DO WHAT]. Using [PRODUCT NAME], customers can [LIST KEY THINGS CUSTOMERS CAN DO]. The advantages of using [PRODUCT NAME] understand: [LIST BENEFITS].
Again, you’d think it’s simple, right? And again you would be wrong. Let’s start with the product category. Most products fit perfectly into an already defined product category. The first thing a potential customer will do when looking for a product is to type in the product category in a search bar. So why are so many companies neglecting to define their product category in the opening sentence of their product and company description or trying to phrase something new and creative?
Below are some examples of head scratching. I’m pretty sure no one is typing these tags into search:
- COMPANY A “is a people-based information platform this facilitates market research.
- COMPANY B “is a single integrated intelligent data services platform that enables organizations to simplify and proactively manage the complexity of enterprise data, accelerating growth and helping to ensure the fundamental integrity of their business.
- THE COMPANY C “is a unique and secure cloud native platform that allows businesses to pull together all of their experience data – what their customers and employees tell them about their company and brand – to analyze it and take action with ease.
- COMPANY D Â«is a direct interaction and monetization toolkit that allows users to humanize digital events, view the audience, and hear the noise of the crowd.
Compare them with the simple and clear examples below:
- âPurePredict is a predictive analytics solution that aggregates and analyzes three layers of intent data: contact-level intent, domain-level consumption trends, and enterprise-level social media intent triggers, in order to provide users more accurate buying forecasts in the market. “
- âPostal virtual events is a virtual event planning platform where clients can book talent from hundreds of options, manage the invitation and registration process, and trigger the automatic sending of event kits to attendees.
- “B2B TeamSuccess customer success The software allows teams to easily monitor, automate and streamline customer lifecycles, create more upsell opportunities, reduce the risk of unsubscribe, and ensure that as relationships as customers grow, so do profits.
- “The objective of confidentiality is a privacy measurement and analysis digital advertising tool. “
- âBasicOps is a productivity platform which lets you start a project, create a to-do list, assign team members, view your schedule, and check your flow. This all-in-one teamwork tool improves communication and productivity by removing excess apps, emails, and meetings. Spend less time managing and more time doing. “
- “The glow is a podcast monetization platform that enables podcasters to create membership programs and generate revenue funded by listeners. “
- “Piktostory is a video montage platform that allows users to turn long videos into small clips ready to be shared on social media. “
Related article: Forget VoC: Where’s Your Brand Voice?
Beware of marketing jargon
Then there is a tendency to add the latest jargon. Today, the most overused terms are âcloud-basedâ and âAIâ. Believe me. At the time of discovery, your prospect doesn’t care how you deliver the magic, they just want to know what the magic is.
Some examples where removing AI wouldn’t negatively impact the description and in most cases improve the description:
- COMPANY 1 “is a pre-configured and AI-powered offering that helps colleges and universities reach, engage and listen to their communities through digital channels. – Not a category to find here.
- COMPANY 2 “is a Intelligent AI transcription and captioning site that provides solutions tailored to the needs of your industry. – Eliminating smart AI and better focusing on the end of the sentence would dramatically improve this.
- COMPANY 3 âis a continuation of AI-powered customer support solutions that simplifies self-service and streamlines the resolution journey not only for customers looking for information on a company’s website, but also for customer support agents who look for information in their internal portals while guiding them. customers in troubleshooting. call it a knowledge base optimization platform.
- COMPANY 4 âAI The customer service automation solution enables support teams to achieve fully automated end-to-end ticket resolution through the combined power of natural language processing and machine learning. – Is automation really the valuable accessory here? It doesn’t say anything about the benefits of having an automated system.
Finally, after someone in marketing writes a description, group thinking tends to take over. When this happens, it results in word stuffing as much as possible to “reinforce” (i.e. confuse) the description.
For example: “Company.ai is a fully automated, powered by AI conversational marketing platform that enables meaningful and intelligent conversations between businesses and their customers. I would argue that a simpler description would be more effective: âCompany.ai is a conversational marketing platform that enables meaningful and intelligent conversations between businesses and their customers. ”
Another example: âCompany Consent Manager is a easy to use tool which allows you to take control of user consent and cookies on your website while providing visitors with an accessible, reliable and user-friendly experience. An alternative: âCompany Consent Manager is a consent management tool that allows you to control user and cookie consent on your website while providing visitors with an accessible, reliable and user-friendly experience. “
And another: “The product is a rich in data webinar software platform that helps users create and deliver engaging audience experiences with live, simulated, or on-demand webinars that engage digital and in-person audiences and accelerate content consumption and travel journeys. ‘purchase. Eliminate Rich Data (Missing You?): “Product is a webinar software platform that helps users create and deliver engaging audience experiences with live, simulated, or on-demand webinars that captivate customers. digital and in-person audiences and accelerate content consumption and travel purchase.
The above examples might sound picky, but it’s so easy to slip into the unintelligible. I challenge you to tell me what this company does: âThe digital marketing software platform offers a suite of white label marketing tools that can help you add a new offering to your toolbox, to expand your services or helping your internal team reach new audiences. “
Related article: A Recipe for Creating Brand Value in an Era of Disruption
When you get it right!
Recently a friend of mine and colleague, Michael Welts, who happens to be a brilliant out-of-the-box marketer, managed to get his business listed as a question on the Jeopardy board.
His company: Wasabi
Category: Cloud Storage
Without a simple description of the product, this would never have been possible. What a victory to increase brand awareness! Oh, and I’m going to give her a pass for using “the hottest in the world” because it’s Jeopardy after all.
Anita Brearton is Founder / CEO and Co-Marketing Director of CabinetM, a marketing technology discovery and management platform that helps marketing teams manage the technology they have and find the technology they need. Anita is a longtime tech start-up marketer and has been fortunate enough to lead marketing programs through the early stages of a startup to IPO and acquisition.[ad_2]