How did you do with our Bay Area trivia challenge? Here are the answers :
Lake Merritt isn’t really a lake. What is that?
The opening lines of Otis Redding’s “(Sittin’ on) the Dock of the Bay” were literally written on a dock. What kind and where?
- A Sausalito houseboat dock
The Berkeley Pier originally stretched 3.5 miles out into the bay so that cars could board a ferry to San Francisco. In 1936, this traffic stopped. Why?
- The Bay Bridge has opened, making ferry travel obsolete
What is the average depth of San Francisco Bay?
- Although some parts are very deep, the average depth is quite shallow, 12 to 15 feet
What is the longest bridge that spans the bay?
- The San Mateo Bridge: when it was built, its 7-mile span was the longest in the country; now it’s 25.
The first San Francisco Bay Bridge, opened in 1923, was considered a failure because…
- Surprisingly, there was not enough traffic to generate enough tolls
The Bay Bridge is protected by …
California Fish & Wildlife introduced wild turkeys to the state in 1959. Why?
- Encourage recreational hunting and generate revenue through licenses and royalties
Why have sea lions been lounging around San Francisco’s Pier 39 since 1990?
- There are plenty of herring and few great white sharks or killer whales.
What was Six Flags Discovery Kingdom called when it moved to Vallejo?
Humphrey, the wayward humpback whale, swam into the bay and into the delta in 1985. In 2007, another pair of humpback whales made a similar trip. What were their names?
In the 1970s, most of an apex predator population living on Mount Diablo was wiped out. He has since made a comeback. What is that?
During the frosty days of Candlestick Park, the Giants handed out pins to loyal fans who held out through extra innings. What were these pins called?
- The Candlestick Cross, which featured the motto “Veni, Vidi, Vixi” or “I came, I saw, I survived”
There have only been two great left-handed quarterbacks in the Football Hall of Fame and both are Bay Area legends. Name the QBs.
- Steve Young and Kenny Stabler
Before the Sharks came to San Jose, the Bay Area had another hockey team based in Oakland. What was his name and what happened to him?
- The California Golden Seals; the team moved to Cleveland and became the Barons
The Golden State Warriors are Bay Area transplants. Where do they come from?
- Not so complicated after all: the Philadelphia Warriors moved to the Bay Area in 1962, first becoming the San Francisco Warriors and then the Golden State Warriors.
What was Oakland’s original name?
- Encinal del Temescal, roughly translated as “the oak grove near the sweat lodge”
How did Sunnyvale get its optimistic name?
- Pure marketing by real estate speculator Walter E. Crossman, who pushed the Sunnyvale name as a way to “attract winter-weary Orientals.”
Napa’s name was originally spelled Nappa. What happened to the second P?
- Nobody really knows. Around 1848, the second P simply disappeared from use.
What is the meaning of the name Vacaville?
- The original landowner, Juan Manual Vaca, agreed to sell the property for development on the condition that the town be named after him.
San Francisco’s iconic Sutro Tower hasn’t had a major paint job in over 20 years. Why?
- It’s almost impossible to avoid dripping paint onto the houses and cars below – and then people complain.
MC Hammer was originally a ball boy from Oakland A. Where did the name Hammer come from?
- Reggie Jackson thought he looked like Hammerin’ Hank Aaron
Walt Disney was one of Hewlett-Packard’s first customers. He bought eight audio oscillators to test the recording equipment for what movie?
What is the windiest street in San Francisco?
- Lombard gets all the attention, but Vermont Street near 20th is the twistiest. It has one less yaw (only seven), but the turns are much tighter, giving it more twist.
How much did the Hell’s Angels pay to provide protection at the infamous “Gimme Shelter” concert at the Altamont Speedway Free Festival in 1969?
When Super Bowl XIX was played in the old Stanford Stadium, what relatively new company offered seat cushions for the stadium’s wooden benches?
What now mega event was first launched in Baker Beach in 1986?
Where did Francis Ford Coppola write most of the script for “The Godfather”?
- Cafe Trieste in North Beach
Which Bay Area community bills itself as California’s first Hollywood?
KCBS Radio got its start when Charles David “Doc” Herrold started regular broadcasts in 1912. What was the station’s radio identification?
What triumph of the Californian winery during the Judgment of Paris in 1976 placed California and its Napa Valley on the world wine map?
- Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars
How knowledgeable are you about the Bay Area?
If you have less than 10 correct answers, you may actually be a Southern Californian.
11 to 20? You clearly swallowed some serious sourdough.
Over 21? You know the Bay Area better than Karl the Fog!